With fresh water resources coming under pressure worldwide, water conservation is a priority. Many environmental measures targeting water efficiency are integrated into the building. Rainwater from the roof is reused to flush toilets. Taps and showers all have water saving appliances.
Water efficiency: taps
Reducing daily water consumption is a priority at UN City. Innovative aerators have been placed in the taps in kitchens, toilets, and showers throughout the building. These low-flow taps spread the stream of water into a spray of droplets, reducing water usage. Aerators, low-flush toilets and rainwater capture systems reduce the building’s overall water use by over 60%.
Water efficiency: toilets
Toilets in UN City are flushed an estimated 5,300 times a day. To reduce the municipal water needed for this, UN City captures run-off rainwater from the roof. Pipes gather the available rainwater and lead it to eight underground collection tanks, where it is filtered and pumped into the plumbing system. Municipal water will only be used for flushing during extreme dry periods when there is not enough rainwater stored, greatly reducing consumption compared to a normal system.
Water efficiency: rainwater
Pipes on the roof will allow UN City to capture almost 3,000,000 litres of rainwater annually, on average. This is almost enough to flush the entire building’s toilets for a year, reducing the need for municipal water. Using innovative taps and toilets as well as reused rainwater leads to a 61% reduction in water use in the building’s toilets, kitchens and showers.
UN.org RSS Feed
- &#39We must respond,&#39 declares UNESCO chief, launching #Unite4Heritage campaign in Baghdad
- Earth Hour 2015: UN dims lights to focus attention on climate action, sustainability
- In Egypt, Ban calls on Arab leaders to strengthen bonds for region&#39s people, global security
- Demanding &#39immediate&#39 ceasefire in Libya, Security Council extends UN mission in crisis-torn country
- UN Somalia envoy condemns deadly terrorist attack on Mogadishu hotel